Palm Beach County to claim $3.4 million in federal aid for Hurricane Matthew costs

Matthew Oct. 6
Matthew Oct. 6

Palm Beach County is set Tuesday to formalize its agreement for federal aid for at least $3.4 million in costs associated with Hurricane Matthew’s glancing blow in October.

Palm Beach is one of 15 counties along the east side of the peninsula that qualified for Federal Emergency Management Agency aid under a FEMA declaration issued in late October.

Palm Beach County commissioners will vote on the agreement at their meeting on Tuesday.

Palm Beach County government and the 39 municipalities and other agencies had to collectively total at least $4.7 million in costs to qualify, county Public Safety Director Stephanie Sejnoha said Thursday. She said the $3.4 million estimate is exclusively for the county and she did not have figures for the other entities.

To read more, go later to mypalmbeachpost.com.

Palm Beach County to move deputy public safety director to top spot

Sejnoha
Sejnoha

Palm Beach County’s Deputy Public Safety Director, Stephanie M. Sejnoha, has been tabbed to take the top spot, replacing Vince Bonvento, who retired Monday after 44 years in county service.

County Administrator Verdenia Baker wrote commissioners Monday afternoon to ask that at Tuesday’s meeting, they ratify Sejnoha’s promotion.

Baker
Baker

Sejnoha, a graduate of Florida State University, started in the county’s financial sector in January 2001 and later was director of finance for the Public Safety Department in 2010 before being named its deputy in June 2015.

In the last year, she’s been a key player in talks to work out how to regulate Uber and similar app-based ride services, and determine how they compete with traditional for-hire vehicle services. She also worked on a recently-enacted set of rules for home caregivers.